26 July 2017

Beauty Works Hair Extensions Review: 6 months on & how I maintain them

I've had a love for hair extensions since I was about 15 years old, and I think I always will. Clip-ins were always my go to, until December of last year when I decided I wanted something a bit more permanent. I decided to get bonded weft extensions after doing some research and speaking to others who already had them in. I went to a consultation at a salon that I had been following on Instagram for a while, and had heard such great things about them. I think it's important to feel confident about the salon and stylist you choose. At the consultation, me and the stylist chose a colour match, the thickness and length. Beauty Works Celebrity Choice was the brand and range that I chose. I already felt confident with the brand because for almost a year before I wore Beauty Works clip in extensions. I decided to have 120g of hair added, because personally I don't like super thick hair and find thinner hair easier to manage. I also wanted a more of a 'natural' look so that it would be difficult for people to tell whether or not I'm wearing extensions. As for length I chose 20 inches. I am a big fan of long hair! This is the second longest length that they do, the next up being 22 inch. 

The process of actually putting the extensions in took no more than about 45 minutes. I had 2 wefts applied, so more will take longer. The hair was sectioned and the micro-bonds applied to small sections of hair around the head. The wefts were then sewn into these bonds and around my head. I have to be honest, the process is a little uncomfortable as there is a lot of pulling of the hair and can sometimes hurt very slightly, but it's bearable. Below I will insert photos of how my hair looked immediately after having the extensions fitted: 




The better you maintain the extensions, the longer they're going to last. They can be pretty high maintenance, but if you want your moneys worth then it's worth doing. These type of extensions are supposed to last up to 9 months. For salon maintenance, you must get the wefts moved up every 4-6 weeks depending on how fast your hair grows. I roughly get mine moved up every 5 weeks. As for home maintenance, you'll need to plait the hair before you go to sleep every night. This is to stop the hair from matting. This can be super annoying, especially after a night out where the last thing you want to do is stand in the mirror brushing and plating your hair. And I have to admit, I don't do it every night religiously, but I do that majority of the time and it definitely makes a difference. The products I use to help maintain them is the Beauty Work Miracle Spray. I use this after the shower, when my hair is still wet. I also use it before putting heat on the hair and sometimes before bed and sleep with it in on the ends just to help bring back some moisture. Once a week I put a argon oil hair mask on to again help stopping the extensions from getting dry and breaking. For washing, I wash them once a week, sometimes twice if I feel like it's needed, but I try and stick to once. I wash them with the Beauty Works Shampoo and finish with the Beauty Works Conditioner. This is my hair after having a re-tighten at 4 weeks: 




I have now had the hair extensions fitted for 6 months. I have lost some thickness, which is to be expected. As for length, I would still say that they are long, if not still 20 inches. The hair is a lot more dryer and has definitely lost it's shine, but all this was expected from wearing extensions for so many years. For this first few days they can feel quite painful on your head and sleeping is uncomfortable, but this passes as you get used to them. I have inserted a photo below to show how they look now (obviously they aren't styled or anything here):




These type of extensions are an expensive commitment. I paid £250, this included the hair, application and styling. For maintenance move ups it is £40 every 4-6 weeks. All salon prices are different though, so best to speak directly to them. I would definitely recommend these extensions. I plan on having a break from them soon, but I will be going back to them as they've maintained so well over the last few months and are comfortable to wear. 

All products mentioned:
Extensions https://beautyworksonline.com/professional-extensions/weft-extensions/celebrity-choice-weft/20-celebrity-choice-weft.html

Miracle Spray https://beautyworksonline.com/haircare/hair-products/10-in-1-miracle-spray.html

Hair done at Mirror Mirror salon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment